This is a small how to on how to disable xwindows(GUI) on Redhat/Fedora/Centos server in order to escape from loop holes in x windows, and unused x windows. Most of the time on servers we never use XWindows to manage server. So there is no need to have it installed or set the default run level to 5. In this post we will see how to set the default runlevel to 3.
Step1: Login to the server and open /etc/inittab
Step2: Search for id:5:initdefault: and replace it with id:3:initdefault:
Step3: Now save the file and reboot the machine, the system will permanently set 3 as default run level and there will be no gui.
Latest posts by Surendra Anne (see all)
- FREE: JOIN OUR DEVOPS TELEGRAM GROUPS - August 2, 2019
- Review: Whizlabs Practice Tests for AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional (CSAP) - August 27, 2018
- How to use ohai/chef-shell to get node attributes - July 19, 2018
- wget download a file to a directory in Linux/Unix - June 4, 2018
- GIT: How to compare two GIT branches? - June 3, 2018