Q. I want to play mkv format file in my Ubuntu machine, but I am unable to do Totem player is asking me some plugins to install. I want to use VLC player as it plays many formats, how can I do that?
VLC Player is an excellent player due to it’s support of many formats and simplicity. By default Ubuntu uses Totem player to play all Video files and rhythmbox to play audio files. We can change this default applications to whatever application we want.
To change default player we have to edit system configurations. This can be achieved in many ways.
Through System setting applet: Click on settings icon on your Ubuntu desktop which is located at right side above corner. Go to system setting options as shown in below screen shots and change default video and audio player.
Through right clicking video/audio file: We can even right click on video and audio files, select 'Open with' option and from the menu select VLC player.
Below procedures are done through root logins.
Through replacing totem.desktop file with vlc.desktop file:
sudo mv /usr/share/applications/totem.desktop /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop
Through editing /usr/share/applications/defaults.list configuration file:
sed -i 's/totem/vlc/g' /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
Once you are done any of above things you can play any kind of video and audio files with VLC player by default.
Latest posts by Surendra Anne (see all)
- Review: Whizlabs Practice Tests for AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional (CSAP) - August 27, 2018
- How to use ohai/chef-shell to get node attributes - July 19, 2018
- wget download a file to a directory in Linux/Unix - June 4, 2018
- GIT: How to compare two GIT branches? - June 3, 2018
- Online training on Linux Bash shell scripting - February 8, 2018