Q. Today I am came across a strange permissions listing ie dot, What is meant by dot in file/folder permissions in drwxr-xr-x in Linux?
This is actually a small post, which is asked by one of the requester. This is a special permission in Linux which is recently included. Some times you will be seeing dot at the trailing end of permissions
ls -l Videos drwxr-xr-x. 3 surendra surendra 4096 2011-07-06 00:19 Videos
If you observe you will find 11th character to the initial 10 characters permission field available in Linux. This is new and is available in Linux when SELinux is included in the package from RHEL5+.
When using SELinux(Security Enhanced Linux ) the files/folder permissions are set in different way. The dot is indicating that files/folders are set with some sort of SELinux permissions on them.
Latest posts by Surendra Anne (see all)
- Review: Whizlabs Practice Tests for AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional (CSAP) - August 27, 2018
- How to use ohai/chef-shell to get node attributes - July 19, 2018
- wget download a file to a directory in Linux/Unix - June 4, 2018
- GIT: How to compare two GIT branches? - June 3, 2018
- Online training on Linux Bash shell scripting - February 8, 2018