Virtualization provide many advantages which will help to improve service quality, security and Hardware consolidation. We already seen
In this post we will see how Virtualization is helping organisations and corporations to reduce costs and increase productivity. some of the advantages of Virtualization are as follows.
- Effective utilization of Resources: We can provide how much resources we require for a particular system. We no need to have all the machines have same configuration. Depending on the load of particular server we can set the hardware resources. This will help us reduce the wastage of resources by keeping them idle.
- Sharing resources such as CD-ROM’s: We can share hardware devices like CD-ROM’s, Printers etc so that they are utilized to maximum extent. We no need to remove them physically we can just unmount from one machine and mount it on other machine. It take hardly one minute to do this.
- Independence from aging Hardware: As the hardware we present to the VM’s are virtual there is no problem of aging(getting older) problem which will give you reduced performance and other disadvantages. We can keep machines independent of hardware failure to the maximum.
- Can increase/decrease resources on fly: Virtualization helps resource management very well. Depending on load we can reduce/increase CPU/Memory etc dynamically.
Reduced total Dollar’s spending
- Reduced Server occupancy space in Data centers: When we can implement multiple VM’s per server which will considerably reduce space usage in Data-center. This will help us to deploy other servers to use Data-center space in effective way.
- Lower power consumption(cooling, powering system etc.): Power consumption can be reduced drastically because there are more VM’s per server when compared to non virtualized data centers. We can save money on cooling system and other electric devices.
- Virtual desktops implementation(Thin clients): Virtualization helps in implementation of thin clients which are less costlier than actual desktops. There is one more advantage of this is that data security can be increased as the data is kept in centralized location.
- Test your apps on different platforms: With out actually buying different hardware for implementing some software testing we can simulate them using Virtualization which helps in reduce of money spent on new hardware.
Less maintenance overhead
- Increased system reliability: System reliability can be drastically increased as all the hardware is virtual there is less chances of crashes. We can minimize the loss of data due to crash of machines by using snapshot.
- Less time need to rebuild a system: IF any system crashes we can easily rebuild it from already saved snap shot. If you want a fresh install we can use from templates. With this disaster recovery is very simple and takes less time to restore a machine.
- Cloning to build servers: Want to build 100 machines for a Cluster?. We can use the cloning concept to build 10’s of machines without much time to bring them up.
- Migration of servers: When ever you want to migrate a machine from place to other it is a tedious job in physical machine. But with the help of virtualization we can do it without much delay.
Please feel free to write your comments on this.
Latest posts by Surendra Anne (see all)
- Docker: How to copy files to/from docker container - June 30, 2020
- Anisble: ERROR! unexpected parameter type in action:
Fix- June 29, 2020
- FREE: JOIN OUR DEVOPS TELEGRAM GROUPS - August 2, 2019
- Review: Whizlabs Practice Tests for AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional (CSAP) - August 27, 2018
- How to use ohai/chef-shell to get node attributes - July 19, 2018