Webmin is a web based administration tool to do daily admin activities.
by using this tool we can configure.
1. User management
2. Disk management such as RAID, LVM etc.
3. Disk Quotas
4. Services/Servers such as apache, DNS, PHP, Mysql etc
5. Will allow us to configure/control many systems through single interface(ie through a web browser).
For example, if you want to control your Linux machine remotely through machines such as windows or a mobile device. We can do the system admin activity through a web broswer. Some time I used to login to my linux server which is located in SJ, USA through my Sony Ericsson C702 mobile phone to take backups.
Installation Webmin in Ubuntu
If you like to install and update Webmin via APT, edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file on your system and add the line :
deb http://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib
You should also fetch and install a GPG key with which the repository is signed, with following commands.
cd /root wget http://www.webmin.com/jcameron-key.asc apt-key add jcameron-key.asc
You will now be able to install with the commands :
apt-get update apt-get install webmin
Installation in Redhat/Fedora
yum install webmin
After installation webmin server will work on localhost at 10000 port, which is default port for webmin.
To access webmin through your browser
Why a unix admin should know about Webmin?
Ans : Webmin is a one stop to administer your machine we can manage allmost all the servers, disk management, user management etc. Which is supported on different operating systems, recently it is supporting Windows too(with limitations) .
Which are other operating systems we can install webmin to administer the system?
Ans : It is supported in many unix and Linux flavours such as
1. Redhat, Fedora, SuSE and Mandrake through RPM packages
2. Debian and Ubuntu through .deb packages
3. HPUX, FreeBSD and Slackware Linux through source code(eg: .tar.gz and .tar.bz)
4. MS Windows through exe.
Latest posts by Surendra Anne (see all)
- FREE: JOIN OUR DEVOPS TELEGRAM GROUPS - August 2, 2019
- Review: Whizlabs Practice Tests for AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional (CSAP) - August 27, 2018
- How to use ohai/chef-shell to get node attributes - July 19, 2018
- wget download a file to a directory in Linux/Unix - June 4, 2018
- GIT: How to compare two GIT branches? - June 3, 2018