The .ram (Real Audio Metadata) is an properitery audo formate from Real media network’s which is having it’s player called Real player.
This format is a stream media format, ie media is stramed from other source.
So how to play this file in Linux?
Ans : To play this we have to install mplayer. you may get doubt that why I am saying mplayer, i don’t suggest to you a properitery real plyaer which will be annoying you all sorts of ads etc. mplayer is a good open source software with which you can play almost every formate. This is my favorite player after VLC player, which is once again a open source.
These are the file formates supported by mplayer
1. Physical media : CDs, DVDs, Video CDs
2. Container formats : 3GP, AVI, ASF, FLV, Matroska, MOV (QuickTime), MP4,
NUT, Ogg, OGM, RealMedia
3. Video formats : Cinepak, DV, H.263, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, HuffYUV, Indeo, MJPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2, RealVideo, Sorenson, Theora, WMV
4. Audio formats : AAC, AC3, ALAC, AMR, DTS, FLAC, Intel Music Coder, Monkey’s Audio, MP3, Musepack, RealAudio, Shorten, Speex, Vorbis, WMA
5. Subtitle formats : AQTitle, ASS/SSA, CC, JACOsub, MicroDVD, MPsub, OGM, PJS, RT, Sami, SRT, SubViewer, VOBsub, VPlayer
6. Image formats: BMP, JPEG, MNG, PCX, PTX, TGA, TIFF, SGI, Sun Raster
7. Protocols : RTP, RTSP, HTTP, FTP, MMS, Netstream (mpst://), SMB –wikipedia.org
How to install mplayer in linux?
In Ubuntu Linux:
sudo apt-get install mplayer
In Redhat Linux:
yum install mplayer